Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Finishing the day off right

As promised, post two for today.

This morning started pretty badly. Connor woke up a little before 2 AM, just as I was getting to bed. He hadn't had any Tylenol or teething tablets before bed, so when he wouldn't calm down after being changed, Leigh and I decided to give him something for the pain. We cuddled him for a little, but he started fussing again as soon as he was put down in the crib.

Leigh didn't want to get him into the habit of late night feedings, so I decided to read to him instead. Keeping him in the crib, I read "In the Night Kitchen" to him and, about halfway through, he quieted. By the time I finished, his eyes were drooping and he was soon asleep again, followed closely by his parents.

As I mentioned in my last post, I took the day off to avoid crappy road conditions. VA does not understand how to handle Winter weather. Southern VA understands it even worse than Northern VA, which is pretty frightening if you've ever lived in the DC Metro area and seen how NoVA handles snow. But I digress...

While Leigh shopped, I kept an eye on Connor. He napped on and off, but while he was up, he tended to fuss unless he was playing his favorite game, "Standing." Almost without fail, being supported so that he can stand up calms him down. His leg strength has grown a lot, too; he can stand for over 10 minutes without any problems.

This afternoon, everyone went down for a nap. Leigh and I expected to lay down for a few minutes, but the next thing we knew, over an hour had passed. Leigh was the first one up, followed by me a few minutes later and Connor a few minutes after that. It was almost as if we had planned it that way.

After his bath, Connor did not seem at all interested in his evening rice cereal, so we moved him right to the milk. He was a little crabby but didn't seem to be in real discomfort, so he just got a couple of teething tablets without the Tylenol. We'll see how that works out.

Now, I am off to bed. Have to leave early to give myself time for road conditions, even though schools are closed which should keep the streets a little more empty. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment