Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bad start/Good Finish

To say that this morning started out badly would be to indulge in gross understatements of the same magnitude as saying that there's some small dislike between fans of the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins.

I was heading to bed shortly before 1 AM. Connor started fussing as he had the morning before. As far as I can tell, it was a mix of teething pain and gas. We medicated him and I attempted to get him back to sleep by reading him a story, but he wouldn't calm down. That was when I noticed that his hands were awfully cold.

Leigh had mentioned earlier that she thought the house was kind of chilly, so I checked the thermostat. Though it was set for 66, it was only registering 61. A check of the vents found that there was air coming through, but it wasn't warm.

While Leigh and I were prepared to suffer through a cold night on our own, we couldn't do that to Connor. Leigh went down to her father's place to pick up a propane heater to keep things from getting too cold until we could get someone out in the morning. While getting the car warmed up, she checked the gas tank for our heating and discovered that it was empty. In barely over a month.

On her way back with the heater, Leigh slipped on some ice and bruised herself, but managed to avoid serious injury. Connor still wouldn't calm down, so she fed him for a while until he passed out.

By this time, it was after 3 and I was exhausted. I decided to call out for the day to give Leigh a break and wait for the gas company to show up. They filled everything up and found no leaks, though we're still a little confused as how, after improving our home's energy efficiency, we ended up using more fuel than we ever had before. But that's another story.

At any rate, I got to spend the whole day with Connor and it was generally a lot of fun. He was rather vocal about not wanting any dang rice cereal, preferring to stick to milk. But he ate well and napped several times and was mostly very well tempered. He was just starting to get fussy when Leigh got home and, with mommy there, the Spud's mood was immediately elevated.

Now he's finishing up his evening meal and will be getting some teething tablets, then getting tucked in. I'll be following shortly thereafter. I'm almost looking forward to getting back to work, since it implies I'll be getting some vague amount of normality back.

Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Poor all of you!!! Teething tablets (I'm showing my age here). That means you don't have to hear Connor crying until exhaustion every minute he's awake practically.

    Can I have a few to use on your father? See you soon. Love, WSM

    ReplyDelete