Thursday, January 28, 2010

The story of Floppy the Sheep

Well, as nothing major happened today, I thought I would take this opportunity to tell everyone about Connor's constant companion, Floppy the Sheep.


Floppy was part of a gift given to us by my father and step-mother during Leigh's baby shower. My step-mother found him at a bookstore and instantly fell in love with him. However, he was the second stuffed animal that we tried out with Connor. The first was a small, blue dog that Connor just didn't seem to react to. Floppy was an entirely different matter, though.

Almost as soon as we put Floppy next to Connor, there was an attachment. He would pull Floppy into a tight hug and move him around delightedly. When we go in to wake Connor in the morning, Floppy might be found anywhere in the crib (although on top of Connor's head seems to be a frequent nesting location). Since he's started teething, Floppy can frequently be found with an ear or limb stuffed in Connor's mouth.

To help prevent possible trauma, we have obtained three 'spare' Floppies to switch in if the original gets lost or damaged. One, nicknamed Floppette, has been swapped in once already to help get Connor's scent. The other two stare at Leigh and me from the bassinet that we still have in our room. It's a little creepy, but also a little comforting.

I'm also in the process of writing a childrens' book about Floppy, but goodness knows if I'll ever finish it. But it's fun to try.

Anyway, I still have a cold and I'm tired, so it's time to sleep now.

1 comment:

  1. My kidlet's closest things to Connor's Floppy were her kitty and Pikachu. If it didn't purr when you shook it, or wasn't bright yellow, she refused it for a very long time.

    I still have my stuffed animal from when I was little. Big Bear has been reupholstered five times, is now completely flat instead of fluffy, has no fur left, and has replaced eyes. Mom had the hardest time finding the right color brown to use to fix that silly bear -- I remember at one point, he had 'pants' because I'd worn through the legs and she couldn't find any brown velvet in the right shade. So it's good that you have the backup Floppies!

    ReplyDelete