Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The "half push-up"

I feel like I'm coming down with a cold, so this is going to be a short post. I'm going to take my nighttime cold meds and pass the heck out. Anyway, I'm a little grumpy because I didn't get to cuddle the Spud. I could have, but I don't want an even better chance of getting him sick.

So as I mentioned in an earlier post, Connor's working on the whole "rolling over" thing. While he isn't close to perfecting his technique, he has been much more into the half push-up, raising the front half of his body up while supporting his weight with his arms so that he can look around. Just a few weeks ago, he'd lift his body up, but didn't understand how to support himself, so it was always a very short lift up. Now it goes on for minutes at a time.

On a side note, I'm very glad to be living in this time period. While I'm not one to trust everything that I read on the internet, I would be scared as heck if I hadn't seen so many people commenting on how teething babies can get constipated. Connor went through two poop-less days, but made up for it today. Leigh estimated that five diaper changes involved a stinky present.

On a final note, thanks to everyone who has told me that they've been reading. The best part of the parenthood journey so far has been watching Connor develop, but the second best thing has been knowing that there are other people sharing the journey with me. So goodnight, all. Be back tomorrow. If I'm feeling up to it and there's nothing more significant, I'll be telling the story of Floppy the Sheep.

1 comment:

  1. As long as Connor is nursed, you don't really have to worry too much about making him sick... and this is why:

    So there's this thing that moms do without even realizing it... we lick our babies. Kiss them, stick their little feet and fingers in our mouths, eat them, chew on body parts, kiss their behinds (literally), etc. The whole reasoning behind this is that our bodies know that we need to "ingest" the baby's environment... then our bodies make milk to protect the baby from his environment.

    So if you're sick, you don't have to worry.... I bet Leigh is doing what all of us do without even realizing we do it, and licking Connor (and I'm certain of it because he's just too blasted cute not to want to eat)... and then her body goes "Woah, there's germs here!" and makes antibodies and puts them into the milk that he gets.

    Yes, I have actually read books on the Immuniobiology of Human Milk in my studies to be a Lactation Consultant :D

    Anyways, this is another reason why breastfed babies are usually the healthiest members of the household when everyone else is puking their guts up ;) That and I think they like to secretly laugh at us as we are in misery ;)

    Oh, but I do hope you feel better. Being sick with a little one around is not fun at all.

    ReplyDelete